Recipe by Jammie Gogel
This is my husband’s favorite cake that I make. It’s not actually made of 3 Musketeers but that’s how everyone remembers it “The cake that tastes like a 3 Musketeer” or the “candy bar cake.” Regardless of its name, we all enjoy it. It’s great with a big cup of milk or side of ice cream.
1 box Duncan Hines devil’s food cake mix
3 large eggs
1/3 c canola or vegetable oil
1 c water
3 box instant chocolate pudding (Jello brand)
2 pkg cool whip
1 pkg cream cheese (8oz), room temp
1 1/2 c 2% milk1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325* for coated or dark pans 9 x 13 or 350* for glass or pans not coated. Spray or use butter to coat pan & sprinkle flour around pan. Get rid of any extra flour; set pan aside.
2. Mix cake mix according to box with the following ingredients: eggs, water, and oil. Once blended, add 1 box of chocolate pudding mix; blend until smooth. Bake in oven for 26-29 minutes according to box.
3. While that’s baking, mix cream cheese (blends best at room temp), 1/2 cup milk, and 1 tsp vanilla until smooth. Then add one box of chocolate pudding mix and an additional 1/2 cup of milk; blending well.
4. Then lastly blend 1 whole tub of Cool Whip to the mix and refrigerate until needed for filling.
5. When the cake is cool, use a frosting spatula to slip around the outer edging of the cake to make sure it’s not sticking to the pan. Then take a cookie sheet, place on top of cake, hold tightly together and flip quickly, set flat on table, tap the bottom of cake pan a few times, lift cake pan off the now upside down cake, take a cake knife or any long knife and cut evenly down the center splitting the cake into 2 sections. Once separated, flip and place the bottom half of the cake back in the pan or on a tray.
6. Remove chocolate filling from fridge and stir a few times to make it easier to spread on the bottom layer of the cake. Once all of the chocolate filling has been spooned on the bottom layer of the cake, smooth over to make it evenly across the entire cake. Then flip and place the top half of the cake back on the bottom.
7. Lastly, take the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and chocolate pudding mix and blend well. Now add the remaining 8 oz tub of Cool Whip and blend well.
8. Finally, frost the top layer of the cake. Ready to serve, Enjoy!
9. TIP: For a creamier topping make the pudding as the box tells you, then add an 8 oz tub of Cool Whip, blend well and add topping to cake.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!