Recipe and Photo by amazing Terrie Hoelscher
Woo-hoooo! This is my 100th recipe posted! :o) These pumpkin cream cheese bars are just right for this Fall season. They are moist, lightly spiced, and have just the right amount of sweetness. No need for frosting … just cool, cut and serve! Semi-sweet chocolate chips are optional. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, mix together 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg and 1/4 tsp. ground ginger…voilá!
Cook time: 25 Min Prep time: 10 Min Serves: 18
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 c sugar
BATTER FOR BARS
1 c solid pack pumpkin in a can
1 c sugar
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice [see note in comments]
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped pecan pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375°
2. Spray a 9×13″ baking pan with PAM or Baker’s Joy. Set aside.
3. For filling, whisk together softened cream cheese, sugar and egg. Mix with a hand mixer until well-blended and smooth. Set aside.
4. For batter, combine pumpkin, sugar, egg and oil in medium mixing bowl. Mix well.
5. Stir in flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, & salt. Mix well to combine.
6. Pour batter into prepared baking dish, and spread to cover bottom of pan.
7. Drizzle the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Cut through the batter with a knife or spatula, to make a marbled effect w/ the cream cheese mixture. Do this a second time, going in the opposite direction [i.e., if you go side to side the first time, go up and down the second time]. When doing the marbling, be cautious and don’t let your knife drag or touch the bottom of the baking dish.
8. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans.
9. Bake 25 – 28 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
10. Cool the entire pan of bars, then cut into squares. Makes 18 squares.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!